South Bay Writers
About South Bay Writers
“Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.”
― Anton Chekhov
We are writers.
Like the great sculptors of verse before us, we bleed upon the page (Ernest Hemingway) and indulge ourselves in the drunkenness of writing so reality cannot destroy us (Ray Bradbury). We savor words to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect (Anaïs Nin). And we jump from cliffs, developing our wings on the way down (Kurt Vonnegut).
Some of us are born with pen to paper and fingertips to keyboard; others of us unfold to inspiration’s latent spark. No matter your path, you will find comrades-in-arms at South Bay Writers.
Chartered in 1987 by a small group of wordsmiths, South Bay Writers is the South Bay Branch of the 107-year-old California Writers Club. Today, our flourishing branch includes members from every major literary genre, including fiction, nonfiction, journalism, poetry, memoir, romance, children’s, YA, essay, screenwriting, literary critique, and playwriting, as well as editors, booksellers, and those in related fields. It is our mission to creatively inspire, support, and educate our members in writing and publishing, and our ongoing programs demonstrate South Bay Writers’ intrinsic commitment.
Our monthly General Meeting Speaker Series features experienced authors, publishers, agents, and literary-related experts, as do our workshops and retreats.
We draw knowledge from the deep well of our heritage, conceived in the early years of the 20th Century when California author, journalist, and social activist Jack London and his literary peers gathered for picnics and conversation at the Oakland hills home of poet Joaquin Miller. The Alameda Press Club, led by California poet laureate Ina Coolbrith, held nearby meetings at the Shattuck Hotel in Berkeley. In 1909, after various mergers and spin-offs (now lost to history), these informal literary salons became the California Writers Club.
Today, California Writers Club comprises 22 branches and an estimated 1800 members throughout the state—from Silicon Valley to the High Desert and from redwood forests to Orange County beaches.
We welcome you to join us here at South Bay Writers. We don’t wait for inspiration. We go after it with a club (Jack London).
How to Join
Enjoy full benefits of annual membership by signing up online or at our general meeting. Annual membership is $45, with a one-time $20 processing fee. Dual membership is $25, and student membership is $20 (up to age 22).
When & Where We Meet
[NEW] THIRD TUESDAY of every month (except July and December)
- 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- [NEW] Holder’s Country Inn, 998 S. De Anza Blvd, San Jose, CA 95129
- Dinner and cost to attend: $15 for Members, $20 for Guests
Top Ten Reasons to Join
- Network with fellow writers and authors; get inspired and motivated!
- Access to professionals: authors, editors, agents, publishers, and other industry experts.
- Monthly industry expert speakers.
- Full-day workshops with writing and publishing experts.
- Significant discounts on all events.
- Publish your work in South Bay Writers’ WritersTalk newsletter.
- Submit your work for consideration to California Writers Club’s annual glossy magazine, Literary Review.
- Lead the club at the local, regional, or state level.
- Attend private, member-only events, including summer barbecue and Christmas bash.
- Participate in critique groups and weekly “Open Mic.”
Top Ten Reasons to Volunteer
You make a difference!
- Direct your talents for the good of South Bay Writers and the California Writers Club.
- Network with industry experts and make new connections.
- Learn about SBW and CWC at the ground level.
- Influence the vision and enhance the reputation of SBW and CWC.
- Build camaraderie! Work toward a common goal with a great team!
- Develop new friendships.
- Gain new skills and professional experience.
- Enhance your resume.
- Improve your health!
Research shows those who embrace volunteering are happier, healthier, and feel more control over their life. Volunteering promotes personal growth and self-esteem!
- Enjoy a change of scenery at our many events
The material on this web site is Copyright © 2004 to 2017 by South Bay Writers, a branch of California Writers Club. All rights reserved. In accessing the South Bay Writers web pages, you agree that you are not permitted to copy, broadcast, download, store (in any medium), transmit, show or play in public, adapt or change in any way the content of these South Bay Writers web pages for any other purpose whatsoever without the prior written permission of South Bay Writers.
All images used on this site are copyrighted and as such are subject to the terms stated in the Copyright notice, above. Photographs of speakers, members, guests, or events used on this website are the property of either the owner of the photograph or South Bay Writers. Location maps are courtesy of Yahoo! Maps. Custom graphics such as design and navigation features and background images used on this website are the property of South Bay Writers.
Web sites linked from the South Bay Writers web site are independent from South Bay Writers, and South Bay Writers has no control over the content on that linked web site. South Bay Writers does not endorse or accept responsibility over the content, or the use, of such linked web sites. In no event, will South Bay Writers be liable to any party for any use of hyperlinked websites, including and without limitation, any lost profits, business interruption, loss of programs or other data on your information handling system or otherwise, even if South Bay Writers is expressly advised of the possibility of such damages.