South Bay Writers Speaker Series
January 9, 2017
SANTA CLARA COUNTY POET LAUREATE
KICKS OFF 2017 SPEAKER SERIES
By Pamela Oliver Lyons
President, South Bay Writers
The Poetry Center of San José presented the Annual Christmas Poetry Open Mic at Willow Glen Library on Dec. 15. There was great affection as Poet Nils Peterson read and sang with friends and strangers alike celebrating a nostalgic holiday program. Surely everyone must already know him as one of the founders of the Poetry Center or as the first Poet Laureate of Santa Clara County (2009-2011) or as Professor Emeritus of San Jose State University or as the author of Walk to the Center of Things, the first of the Caesura Edition series, or from his numerous publications, including a Pushcart Prize nomination.
I was a latecomer to poetry appreciation. I attended my first poetry “class” at a retirement center during my first summer in my new home. Nils Peterson came to teach a short three-week class. It turned out to be “not my grandmother’s” poetry appreciation experience. It rocked. I was hooked on poetry.
“Nils Peterson is a poet who sets the world before us – tangible and mysterious with almost effortless craft and a superbly tuned ear for the music of language,” says fellow poetry enthusiast Joseph Stroud. “He reveals the luminous within everyday events of our lives. To use Sappho’s words, ‘He is an artisan of the keen, clear song.'”
Join South Bay Writers and Poet Laureate Nils Peterson at the club’s first General Meeting and Speaker Series of 2017.
DATE: Monday, Jan. 9, 2017
COST: $15 members / $20 non-members (includes $10 for dinner)
LOCATION: Harry’s Hofbrau, 390 Saratoga Ave., San Jose, Calif.
GENERAL MEETING AGENDA
6:00 pm Dinner
6:30 pm General Meeting
7:10 pm Break
7:30 pm Guest Speaker: Nils Peterson
8:30 pm Networking & Dessert
9:00 pm Close
SIGN UP TODAY FOR A SOUTH BAY WRITERS MEMBERSHIP
Explore Club Discounts and Benefits
Have you joined South Bay Writers? If not, take advantage of the club’s six-month membership for $42.50 (January 1 through June 30, 2017) and test drive Silicon Valley’s premier writing group.
Membership has its benefits:
- Network with fellow writers and authors and get inspired and motivated!
- Learn from industry experts during SBW’s monthly Speaker Series
- Receive discounts on workshops with writing and publishing experts
- Receive discounts on monthly meetings ($15 members/$20 non-members)
- Publish your work in SBW’s monthly WritersTalk newsletter
- Submit your work for consideration to California Writers Club’s glossy magazine, Literary Review
- Attend private, member-only events, including the July summer barbecue and December’s Jingle Bash
- Participate in SBW’s TalkShop, TalkBooks, and Open Mic
- Participate in club leadership at the local, regional, or state level
Submit your payment online at http://southbaywriters.com/wordpress/submit-payment/. Or you may pay by check: CWC South Bay Writers, PO Box 3254, Santa Clara, CA 95055. Make checks payable to CWC South Bay Writers.